Wednesday, February 21, 2007

What a week! - Allison

It has been an interesting week of preparation. I am trying to find a balance in not over analyzing but also being thoughtful about the events of the week. This week has included 2 car accidents within 3 days. Lots of conversation with insurance companies and random people, a sick grandfather and the preparation of a trip to the continent of Africa. Overall lots of distraction from planning to leave the country. Maybe I should be feeling a burden of leaving but today I am really just living to get on a plane. In some sense it feels like refuge from what appears to be madness. (which seems like a self consuming statement in lieu of an aids epidemic and all that I know of Africa-sorry)

I guess the over arching question is Satan ticked off we are going and bringing distraction in my life and possilbly your life to or is God teaching me and maybe each of you something that will be used in the days ahead. Maybe it is one in the same. I keep praying on both sides. Praying and believing that Satan has no hold on me and asking God to teach me from the madness Then there is living in the recognition that car accidents and sickness, while they seem overwhelming, are only pieces of a day, or a week, or a month and yet they have the ability to consume my time and thoughts. What might God be teaching me?
I think I am learning that life is not about convenience. I try to make it about that but it is not. I don't need a car! I think I do but I don't. It takes some extra planning and some kind friends but it can work. I am learning that other peoples decisions effect me. For good or bad I have to live life with the people who surround me. Sometimes we are forced through random circumstance to be in contact together, even when we don't want to , and my response in those moments matters! I don't really know if these are the things that I am to glean from my week but it is all I have so far. I am tired this week and feel empty going into this trip. But from what I know about going into a trip like this maybe it isn't such a bad place to be!

I have been praying Psalms 138 throughout today and just thought I would share it : " Though the LORD is on high, he looks upon the lowly, but the proud he knows from afar. 7 Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life; you stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes, with your right hand you save me 8 The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me; your love, O LORD, endures forever—do not abandon the works of your hands."

This is my prayer as we start this trip. I am praying that God would fulfill his purpose and that he would not abandon the work of his hands in this trip, in Living Hope, in the city of Cape Town, even in the continent of Africa. I pray that as we have the opportunity to experience this new culture that we might have more of an understanding of what the hand of God is doing in this place and in our lives.

No comments: